Friday, January 1, 2010

Y2KX

Today seems like as good a day as any to start blogging again. I mean, I don't really buy into the whole "new year, new you"/the-turning-of-the-clock-from-31-December-to-1-January-really-means-something…thing. However, two recent run-ins with pop culture have lit a fire under my behind:

  1. I watched Julie & Julia. Yes, I'm aware that the odds of me being featured in the New York Times are, let's say, fairly slim; I'm not blogging for notoriety. I like the idea of committing myself to a single project, just as Julie Powell did. Being a commitment-phobe, I thought initiating my own blogging project might be a good way to turn over a new leaf/kick off this totally arbitrary point in time.
  2. I read Things That Make Us [Sic]. It was a Christmas gift from my mom, who knows me so very well. My degree is in linguistics and I am a geek when it comes to words, so a book about grammar is a treat indeed. I write down words I like/have never heard/can't stand on scraps of paper and hoard them like Little Edie and Big Edie collect cats and raccoons. I have a problem. I hope this blog serves as free therapy for me.

What do I intend to do here? Profile words, mainly – words that I like, words that have significance to me, words that keep me up at night, words that pop up in conversation (do you ever learn a new word and then hear it over and over again within a short period of time? Freaky, no?), words that I would strike from the lexicon were I to be endowed with such word-striking powers. Now, that would be a special treat.

I hope you join me on this journey of self-discovery and sexual awakening [sorry, that's a different blog] to where, I don't know. Until I consult GoogleMaps and figure out where we're going, meet my inaugural word, courtesy of Urban Dictionary, which lists the word as 2KX. I added the "Y" because I'm a little nostalgic for the Y2K hysteria; also, I had more technological mishaps last night at midnight than I did 10 years ago at midnight. Anyone else receive all text messages in duplicate? Is it just me whom AT&T decided to rip off when the clock struck 12?

Back to 2KX:

"An abbreviation of the year 2010 from the Roman numerical system (K meaning 1000 and X meaning 10). Dude, it's 2KX next year!"

Don't you agree that adding a "Y" dresses up this word a little bit? Either way, this word remains one I am unlikely to utter for it sets an ugly precedent for future years. Do we really want to walk around saying, "Dude, it's (Y)2KXVIII!"in eight years?

No comments:

Post a Comment